Press "Enter" to skip to content

Police ordered to disclose hours of ‘secret recordings’ ahead of ex-bikie double murder hearing

Published in 1%er News

Police say they have not given hours of “secret recordings” with people interviewed in connection to a Gold Coast double murder to lawyers in the case because they “don’t recall” what’s in them, a court has heard.

Key points:

  • Cameron Martin and Shane Ross were found dead with gunshot wounds on the Gold Coast in October 2019
  • Three men — Garry James Brush, Nathan John Miller and Brodie Jeet Singh — have been charged with their murders
  • The start of the comittal hearing has been delayed until Tuesday

A Gold Coast magistrate has ordered recordings of conversations, some up to two years old, between police and witnesses to be disclosed to the Southport Magistrates Court.

It comes ahead of the committal hearing for a group of alleged Lone Wolf bikies accused of shooting ex-bikie Shane Ross, 36, and his Monstr clothing business partner Cameron Martin, 47, on the Gold Coast.

Police allege the pair were shot dead by Lone Wolf gang members after being lured to a Tallebudgera park in October 2019.

Accused Lone Wolf outlaw motorcycle gang members Garry James Brush, Nathan John Miller and Brodie Jeet Singh have been charged over the alleged double murder.

Committal hearing delayed

Their committal hearing, meant to commence in the Southport Magistrates Court this morning, was delayed after defence barristers said they had become aware a number of “secret recordings” with witnesses that were in possession of the Queensland Police Service but had not been given to the parties in the case.

Mr Brush’s barrister Angus Edwards told the court police said they had had the recordings for “something like a couple of years”.

“They expected we should have asked for these recordings we didn’t know existed,” Mr Edwards said.

Magistrate John McInnes ordered police to disclose the names of witnesses and police involved in the secret recordings by close of business on Monday.

The recordings must be disclosed to the court by 9am Tuesday.

Crown prosecutor Stephanie Gallagher told the court she had already requested the recordings but they had not yet been disclosed because police officers involved said they did not recall “exactly what was said in them and whether they should be disclosed in full or redacted”.

“A quick look at their police notebook should remind them,” Mr McInnes said.

The court heard it was unknown whether the conversations with witnesses were those already scheduled to give evidence in the committal hearing or different people.

The committal hearing is expected to commence on Tuesday.

Location: Australia
Source: abc
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x